Tuesday, February 26, 2013

warm.

Moving into the townhouse has been an adventure. It was't until my first night sleeping here that it really hit me that this is the first time I've ever lived alone. There's something kind of liberating and exciting about that. I had fun roommates throughout college (with the exception of my fateful freshman year... my first roommate was not simply riding the crazy train, she was driving it. Off the side off a cliff.) Living alone is unmistakably different. Of course I'll miss the companionship at times, but there's comfort in the quiet too. 

Another thing about your first place on your own... filling it. I didn't realize how little I owned. Well, as far as house things go. Clothes? Another story. But furniture and kitchen wares and things of the sort... Not so much. My cousins and I have lovingly taken to calling our parents' and grandma's attics/garages "Free Stuff Emporium." Though the boys are more attracted to the finance factor (i.e. free) I love the idea of sitting on my grandma's old couch with my feet propped up on mom and dad's old coffee table. I like thinking about the board games we played on this very table, and there's something really special about cooking breakfast in the same pan my dad used to make me pancakes for me every morning of high school. There are nicer pans out there, and this one is a little worn, but little things like this make my place feel cozy and homey. 

Another thing that contributed to the "warming" of this house? The outpouring of love from family and friends. In addition to all the wine in Napa Valley, I've received countless other sweet gifts too... from the perfect monogrammed mug to a bright bouquet for my dining room table (that once belonged to my grandparents) to a fun bottle opener that will be perfection on my back porch all summer long... It may be February 26, rainy and gloomy outside, but things are undeniably warm in here. 
[coffee & candles contribute to the warmth, and I must admit I'm not above decorating with chocolates]

2 comments:

  1. Awww, congratulations on your new home! That is really exciting! Our dining room table belonged to my grandparents, too. :) Have fun settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on moving into your new place! I just started moving stuff into my new place too! I never realized how expensive life can be, so I am riding the "free stuff emporium" train too! Your little comfy nook looks great, I'm sure the rest looks great too!! Happy home-warming!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails