Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumpkin (birth)Day

Hi cats, how was your weekend? Mine was the perfect mix of fun and relaxation. We've been short-staffed at the restaurant these past few weeks, and it feels like I've been going non-stop. Fortunately, I had the past 3 days off and Hurricane Sandy forced me to sit back and take it easy. It's no exaggeration when I say I literally laid in bed all day Saturday and Sunday, sipping detox tea and watching romantic comedies. It was pure heaven. 
[I've seen You've Got Mail over a dozen times, and I can honestly say I love it more and more each time I see it.]

Friday served as the 4th annual Pumpkin Day (I cannot believe it's been this many years since the first one!) Though if I'm being truly honest, it's been pumpkin month this year. (Which really means I made pumpkin cream  cheese muffins in September, and I've been sipping pumpkin beer since late August...) This year's Pumpkin Day was particularly special though, because Friday night we celebrated my main man's 50th birthday. My dad requested this pumpkin bourbon cheesecake, we stocked up on craft beer (seasonal, of course) and celebrated with a bunch of friends and 2 big pots of spicy chili. Sandy may have squelched our plans of a bonfire, but she didn't dampen our spirits. 
[We converted the laundry/mud room into a wet bar. It helped cut down on the traffic in the kitchen and as the ice melted it went right down the drain! Pretty brilliant if you ask me.]
[My mom had already scooped up a plethora of pumpkins, so even though our day didn't actually include a trip to the pumpkin patch, there's no shortage of decorative gourds around the house.]
The cheesecake was delightful. The crust is particularly tasty and the bourbon gives the cake a nice, full flavor. I almost skipped out of the sour cream topping, thinking cream cheese plus sour cream topping would equal cream overload, but I'm so glad I didn't. It's a nice contrast and it packs another little punch of bourbon flavor. I'll be making it again for Thanksgiving, and we are in the process of developing a bourbon caramel sauce to drizzle over the top, because you can never have too much Makers Mark, no?

psst... Sunday morning I woke up to pumpkin Belgian waffles, so it looks like even though "pumpkin day" is over, the pumpkin love will continue indefinitely. 

psssstt... you might have noticed a few minor changes here in Soliloquyland... I did a little tweaking! I think the changes will be more conducive for sharing both photos and text. And I think it was time for a change since this little blog just turned 3 on October 19th!! Time flies. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the new blog changes, it looks great! And I'm super jealous of your relaxing weekend ~ I can't remember the last time I had zero weekend plans enough that I could just lay in bed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ekk! thats literally how I felt when I saw your blog update! :) I love it. And you can never watch "You've Got Mail" too many times, one of the best! and detox tea! isn't it great!! Hope you have a relaxing week!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails