Monday, April 22, 2013

one week...

Today marks one week since the horrific events at the Boston Marathon took place. The days that followed this tragedy have been a bit of a blur, and there are so many questions that remain unanswered. It has been nearly 20 years since the Oklahoma City bombing occurred, and even though I was just a child at the time, I find myself feeling much the same way today: profoundly saddened, a little scared, and overwhelmingly confused. And that very same lump in the back of my throat? It still comes and goes. 

From Columbine to Newtown, there is no appropriate explanation for cowardly acts of violence, terror, and hate. But I have been so deeply disappointed by the reactions of some of my peers (and equally inspired by others.) I understand that we cannot control our circumstances, but I do believe that we are responsible for our reactions in these situations. You cannot control the cards you are dealt, but you can control how you play the hand. Here are two clips from my Twitter feed...
The views expressed by these two individuals couldn't be more opposite. One left me feeling agitated and defeated, while the other lifted me up and encouraged me. Both were viewing the same situation, but in a completely different light. The thing is-- sometimes you have to cast the light in the darkness. We simply cannot afford to wait for someone else to shine it for us. 

I'll spare you my personal diatribe, and challenge you with the simple fact that each and every one of us has a choice to make. When dastardly acts of violence rob innocent lives or when arrogant jerks cut you off in traffic... You are responsible for you. It's a remarkably empowering thought. 

[And, since I can't resist... truthfully, if you are sickened by the country that you are living in, make a change and go somewhere you're proud of. Trust that you will not be missed. Tragedy is no excuse for the bold expression of blatantly anti-American sentiments.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails