Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Splendora's Gelato

Our first night in Virginia was spent eating dinner alfresco in downtown Charlottesville followed by the best gelato of my life. To say that I have a new obsession would be a bit of an understatement. The Italians get everything right.


We stumbled into Splendora's Gelato Cafe just minutes after getting kicked out (literally) of another ice cream place (that shall remain nameless) because "it had been a long weekend and they wanted to close up shop early." Well, providential doesn't even begin to describe it. First of all, the baristas at Splendora's were absolutely adorable. So sweet and obliging, encouraging us to sample as many flavors as we wanted and offering recommendations based on their personal favorites. Such a nice alternative to those at ice cream shop numero uno.

But let's talk about gelato.


They had everything from birthday cake to cookies and cream to Thai tea. Fortunately, I got to choose two flavors. I opted for chocolate espresso crunch (which was so dark and delicious) and salted caramel. Yes, salted caramel. It was amazing. It was like everything good about caramel popcorn minus the dental devastation it leaves in its wake. 

The only problem with Splendora's? The 5 hour drive I will have to make when I really start craving it. 

Side note: I'm totally kicking myself for not trying their homemade lavender lemonade. How refreshing does that sound?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails