Thursday, April 4, 2013

Blueberry Compote

My parents and sister were serving at their new church on Easter Sunday, so my brothers and I headed home after early service to whip up a beautiful brunch. It was fun being in the kitchen with just the two of them. Julian has worked in the kitchen at the restaurant, so it came as no surprise when I gave him the title* of "Culinary Executive." CJ was a big helper too, and I lovingly called him "Logistics Manager," which really means he washed dishes and took the trash out and did all that not so fun work without the slightest complaint. It freaks me out how much he's growing up. 
I was the "Creative Director" for the whole operation, which really means I made pretty arrangements out of fresh blooms, drank mixed mimosas, and made sure all of the dishes/serve-ware matched. #priorities
My main real contribution was this fabulous blueberry compote. There are no appropriate words to describe the wonder that takes place when you let 2 cups of fresh blueberries simmer with a little water and lemon juice. We put it on my grandma's "angel biscuits," and I swear you would think you'd died and gone to heaven (see what I did there?)
*yes, these "titles" were actually used. My brothers seem to tolerate my antics with begrudging fondness. 

p.s. I used this recipe for the compote, but traded the 1/4 cup of sugar for 1/8 cup of Truvia baking blend. 

p.p.s. we also tried grapefruit mimosas... delish. recipe here

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me miss my siblings! :) What a beautiful brunch! It looks like your management skills are stellar. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails