Tuesday, June 28, 2011

madame blueberry

It wasn't supposed to be like this. I blogged about breakfast yesterday, so today's post was supposed to be about something fun, like fashion. Or something pertinent, like the Casey Anthony trial. Or something funny (meaning borderline creepy) like all the things I've learned about Ina in the past 48 hours by reading her cookbooks from cover to cover (did you know she lived in NC?! Or that she and Jeffrey spent 4 months traveling France and living in a tent?!) 


Instead, I woke up and the most succulent, beautiful blueberries were calling my name. So, I did what any sensible girl would do. I made muffins with my favorite 12 year old sous chef. 
Blueberry Muffins:
(adapted from Poet in the Panty)
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend (softened)
1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg beaters)
1/2 cup skim milk
2 cups fresh blueberries (mine came from Burgaw, NC...  local and delicious)

Preheat oven to 375. Mix dry ingredients. Set aside. Using a mixer, cream "butter" and "sugar." Add eggs one at a time and then vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually incorporate flour mixture. Add milk until just incorporated. Remove from mixer and fold in blueberries. 

Bake in greased muffin pan for 30 minutes. I prefer smaller muffins (more crunch per bite), so I was able to yield 16. Using Splenda, Smart Balance, and skim milk makes me not feel quite so bad for eating 4 in one sitting. A happy tummy and a clean conscience? Sign this girl up. 

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails