Monday, May 14, 2012

The straw that broke this camel's back/neck

I had a nice long run today and then worked my abs and my tush out pretty hard (butts and guts, baby.) I'm not saying this to brag, but I feel like I need to share a little background info to properly explain the situation. I left the gym feeling strong and proud of myself. I ate a healthy lunch and was ready to take on the world (after a shower... and maybe a power-nap.. and a latte.) I was ready to plunge into the steamy sauna when I felt the sharp pain shoot up my neck. Did I just pull a muscle while taking off my sports bra? Yes. I would say this is an all-time-low, but those have been occurring all too frequently as of late, so I'd prefer we just move on.  


The extent of my relationship with yoga is my deep-seated love for yoga pants... and that's about it. When you start getting into the meditation and the om and breathing... I'd rather take a nap. But I'm starting to reevaluate my stance on the subject. If the simple act of stripping down results in me needing a neck brace... Maybe I could benefit from some increased flexibility. So, my plan...
Sun Salutations. I mean how hard can they be? There are countless YouTube videos that can talk me through it. And even if they don't increase my flexibility, I'll feel very 90s chic, no? Ok, I'm being a little glib and sarcastic about this whole thing, but really... it can only help, right? Maybe (just maybe) between the kickboxing and running and boot camp I can be a little high-strung, so starting my day* with this sequence might be good for my psyche. 


So tell me yogis, what do you think? 


*Disclaimer: I'm talking about yoga for stretching. Dad, I know you're going to read this and think I've retired my Jesus Calling devotional and have started worshiping Surya the Hindu solar deity... but that couldn't be further from the truth. :)

3 comments:

  1. I kinda love yoga, and sun salutations are my favorite. I leave class feeling rejuvenated, relaxed, and stretched to the max. It is a great way to start the day!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your disclaimer is hilarious! Haha. I've been wanting to try some of that stretching, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up! Yoga is misunderstood and is made up of many parts. You are only practicing the HATHA(physical) portion which can seem to become spiritual as you are becoming more aware of your body and how it feels as you practice. Couldn't that type of 'religious' experience be said of any other exercise with the right amount of focus? I love it because your goal is to be comfortable in each pose and before you know it you'll see better definition, more fluidity and more confidence in your other physical activities!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails