Women's Health magazine to the rescue! This morning I was reading the July/August 2010 issue, and they included this image of Leona Lewis and step-by-step instructions to do a side fishbone braid! Tried it this morning and looove it!
Side Fishbone (adapted from Women's Health)
1. Create a side part (whatever side your hair naturally favors) and gather hair in a low ponytail (don't secure it though)
2. Divide hair into two equal sections at the neck
3. Start the braid by grabbing an eighth-inch piece of hair from the outside of the left section and add it to the inside of the right section. Next, grab an eighth-inch section from the outside of the right section and cross it over to incorporate it into the inside of the left section.
4. Continue this process until hair is fully braided and secure with an elastic.
5. For a messier look, rough up the braid by pulling at the sides and allow face-framing pieces to hang loose.