Monday, November 28, 2011

Cyber Monday

Happy Cyber Monday, friends! Are you doing some Christmas shopping this afternoon? I've been looking around for some ideas... but truth be told, if I buy gifts this early I always end up giving them early too. I take "it is better to give than to receive" to a whole new level. I.love.it. 


This year I'm trying to be mindful not only of what I give, but also where it comes from. I  am focusing more on handmade items and products made in America. Taylor's brother and his girlfriend set a $20 limit for each other and they made the stipulation that whatever they buy must be pre-owned. Hats off to them! (They are both super creative, so I'm sure their gifts will be superb.)


Despite having a 500+ collection of Crayola crayons as a child, I've never been overwhelmingly artistic. This year though, I do want to put a little something "personal" into some of my gifts. Granted, my Christmas cards will never feature my own original art or calligraphy work, but that doesn't mean I can't DIY something special for the people I love. 


I'm thinking about using a 50/50 approach for some of my gifts: 50% purchased, 50% created. Example:


Purchased: vintage Santa mug (bonus points because it's pre-owned!)
Created: Hot chocolate mix (recipe here)
Purchased: vintage Cookie jar
Created: batch of cookies & recipe printed on a pretty note-card
These would make good gifts for neighbors or hostesses, and making part of it yourself shows you care (and a vintage cookie jar says "you're worth more to me than a cheap Glad container/paper plate with plastic wrap.") As for the people closest to me, I'll have to keep the details of their presents under wraps (ha, get it!) After all, they are my most faithful followers... hi mom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails