Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm a Blogger.

Good morning, loves. Well, I've been holding out on you and I guess it's about time I spill... I got a job! Not a career. Not a full-time, big girl, grown-up, wearing-pencil-skirts-to-the-office, 9-5 job, but a job, nonetheless. And it's in my field. Using my degree!  


This month I signed a contract to work as a blogger for a social media firm in Fort Lauderdale. Wait what? Yeah, I'm a blogger. Totally weird, huh? 
[my bio from the company website... Wait what?!]

I started this blog thinking it would improve my communication skills and make me a stronger writer. I hoped it would help cultivate a sense of self-discipline and a self-starter mentality. And it did. And, oddly enough, this little blog has opened doors I never imagined it could.


I didn't ever expect to "pursue a career in blogging," mainly because I felt like it was one of those novel ideas (ha, novel, gotta love a literary pun) that are too far beyond reach. Kind of like an 8 year old boy who wants to be a professional baseball player. Or every girl who saw How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days wants to work for a magazine. But, here I am, 22 years old and I'm going to get paid to do something I've been doing for fun for over 2 years. 
It's a dream. It's hard work. Sometimes it's frustrating, but the payoff is incredible (and I'm not talking money.) I tried to explain it to my mom recently and it's difficult to articulate, but there comes this point when I'm ready to pull my hair out. Things don't sound right, the piece isn't coming together. My eye starts twitching and I think, "I hate blogging, I hate writing, I hate words." And then something just clicks. Sometimes it's the perfect word. Sometimes it's the first sentence. Sometimes it's the realization that I need to scrap the whole thing and start over. Whatever it may be, things just come together all of the sudden. It's an epiphany. It's an adrenaline rush, kind of like falling in love or finding the perfect pair of heels in your size. It's the first bite of a warm cookie. It's the winning basket in overtime and the crowd goes wild. 


I'm a blogger. And I love it. 


It's funny though, and I'll be completely honest, I was not looking for jobs in social media. I was dead set, hell-bent on working in the nonprofit sector. But this opportunity presented itself and, oddly enough, about 25% of my work so far has dealt directly with nonprofits. God's funny like that. 
So, the nitty gritty: I'm still in Coastal Carolina. I'm still working at the restaurant. I work remotely from home or the office. I may relocate to Florida, just like I may end up in Timbuktu. It has been a lesson in juggling, sometimes I get it right and sometimes everything ends up on the floor. But I'm learning to manage. I know I'm doing things a little differently than most "young professionals" my age, and I'm ok with that. If I can give you any advice (if you're the type of person who takes advice from someone who clearly has a lot left to figure out) I'd say don't get locked into a certain idea of what your future should look like. Sometimes life surprises you in ways far more interesting than you could ever dream. Just be open to it. 


Thanks for reading, today & always, and for allowing me to share my craft with you. It truly means the world to me. 

7 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! What a fantastic job! Still searching for mine. It helps to hear that other people are finding theirs. Gives me hope. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Such great news, and to go into a position already in love with it- not too shabby! You'll have to let us know when and where we can read up on your professional blog!
    Ah! So exciting, congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh caitlin! Congratulations! I'm so excited & proud of you! Isn't God funny with how he works things out? You are a true gifted writer, writing professionally is a dream in itself! I'm a little envious over here ;)

    I'm also learning to not restrict my future with what I think it should look like...I will take your wonderful advice :)

    again so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Caitlin!!! You are a wonderful blogger, and you will excel at this new job! Keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitlin,
    This post made me cry. I miss you and am filled with so much happiness for you! Thanks for the encouragement in all your words, I find they apply to me too. I love you..you smart, wonderful, friend of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I recommend you :)I knew you would be perfect for the job. And how crazy is it that we work for the same company? Love you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails