Tuesday, September 13, 2011

transitional wardrobe

And so it begins... that awkward phase between summer and fall. Temperatures still soar during the day, but after months of cut-offs and flip flops, I find myself coveting all things cozy. Developing a transitional wardrobe is something that has eluded me for years. I could never quite strike the balance between seasonally appropriate and comfortable for the given climate. This year, rather than fighting the elements and trying to make boots happen all too soon, I've selected a few pieces to make the transition from summer to fall a little easier. These are my essentials:


1. Cropped Pants 
(I prefer J. Crew's Minnie pants. Prefer meaning adore.) 
They are not nearly as hot as jeans and they make your legs look miles long. Timeless, classic, chic. Black is a perennial favorite, but I'm loving my newly-acquired khaki pair! Wear them now with sandals and in a few weeks with flats or pumps. And as winter rolls around, tuck them into boots and nobody will know the difference.


2. Lightweight utility jacket
I'm not going to lie, I wear this thing year round. Pants, shorts, jeans, dresses... it goes with everything. As it gets cooler I like to layer it over a hoodie for a downtown, metropolitan vibe. Mine is from Gap, but I've spotted similar versions at J. Crew and Urban Outfitters recently. 


3. Scarves (lightweight
[I purchased this one this morning!]
Save the cozy cashmere and wool for when winter arrives. Now is the time for breezy cotton and linen. I keep one tucked in my purse 24/7. 


4. Cognac leather accents 

The warm, supple shade lends an air of distinction (think prep-school charm) & while it may be too soon for riding boots, a leather handbag is perfect year-round. 


What are you wearing to beat the heat but still look chic?

1 comment:

  1. Cognac is one of the best things about summer! Cognac boots. Nothing better.

    WHere is that scarf from?? I Love it!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails