Wednesday, March 28, 2012

feels like me

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: I'm not much of a makeup girl. It's not that I don't enjoy cosmetics, I just don't find the overdone, caked-on foundation, heavy black eyeliner look attractive. Don't get me wrong- there are people who can pull off a dramatic eye or a bold lip like nobody's business. I'm just not that girl. My minimalist routine becomes even more minimal as soon as the temperatures start warming up, so I like to think my natural approach is the direct result of being a beach baby. When you grow up by the shore, light makeup just makes sense. You don't try to fight your hair when the humidity rolls in for the summer and you certainly don't want black mascara streaming down you face the minute you decide to splash in the waves. 


When it comes to summer makeup, (summer meaning 10 months out of the year) I want to look like me... just better. These are three products that make me "feel like me." When I'm wearing them I don't feel done up, in fact, I don't feel like I'm wearing anything at all. Of course, for events and such I'll glam it up with shadows or a brown liner, but for everyday, real life... this is it. Beach baby, tomboy chic... call it what you want. 


1. Bare Escentuals: A Little Sun
Back before I knew what sun damage, skin cancer, and wrinkles were, I loved the look of fresh sun on my face. You know the kind: not burnt, but it hasn't quite turned to tan yet, so the cheekbones have a reddish-golden glow? I'm a total sunscreen nazi now, but this does the trick. When I'm applying it, I close my eyes and pretend I'm sitting on the beach. I run the brush along the parts of my face that feel the warmth of the sun first: cheeks, forehead, and down the bridge of my nose. Not only is it a great product, but closing my eyes and picturing the sea is probably the most "zen" part of my routine. 
2. Maybelline: Full 'N Soft Mascara
For long, fluttery lashes, this can't be beat. It doesn't look like you're wearing mascara. It doesn't look like giant spiders are feasting on your eyelids. It looks like your natural eyelashes, just longer, fuller, softer... better. 
3. Fresh: Sugar Passion Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15
This is my latest, greatest obsession. Our weekend in Atlanta was a basketball trip. Seriously, even when we were in our room, ESPN was on in the background.
[if you can disregard my "get that camera out of my face" face, you can see Dickie V. in the background.]
However, we did manage to squeeze in a little shopping at Lenox mall. I kept seeing chatter about the Sugar lip treatments on the interwebs, but at $22.50 a pop, I was skeptical. So I did what any sensible girl would do: I talked my mom into trying it and telling me how she liked it. Her rave reviews were all it took, so the next day we went back to the mall and I purchased it in Passion. Mom bought Plum the day before and decided to scoop up Passion too when I purchased mine. Bottom line: I love it. Seriously, the best lip product I've ever used. The nourishing, age-delay formula lasts for hours, it has the perfect amount of sheer color, and windblown hair doesn't stick to your pout like gluey gloss makes it. I was torn between Rosé and Passion and I am quite happy with my selection: it's like a lighter version of popsicle stained lips. And it hydrates so well I just might be officially retiring my Burt's Bees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails