Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dig It

As I mentioned on Friday, I've never had much of a green thumb. Don't get me wrong- I love flowers. And I can whip up a beautiful bouquet or gorgeous centerpiece given the proper tools. But actually sustaining life? Eh... not so much. 

Well, after seeing succulents on Pinterest for weeks, I finally decided to go for it. After all, it is the final step in fulfilling my lifetime goal of being Martha Stewart (minus the jail time). The inspiration...
Wanna play, too? You will need:
Potting Soil
Gravel, Small Stones, or Crushed Shells
Small Succulents
Something to plant them in!
 I used a pretty glass serving bowl, so it didn't have a hole for excess water to drain out. Crushed shells at the bottom will prevent the roots from sitting in water. [If you use a regular flower pot, this won't be necessary.]
 Next, add a thick layer of potting soil (but be sure to leave some space for your plants!)
 Finally, tuck those babies in there. Tada!
I could only fit 4 in my bowl, so I popped one in a little teacup that was sitting vacant on my bar. Perfection!

Some helpful hints: 
Succulents like lots of sun
But not too much water

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails