Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Quinoa Salad

I would consider myself a fairly healthy eater. I never skip breakfast (or lunch, dinner, snack, etc.) I love most veggies (except mushrooms) and I limit my intake of special treats, like wine and dessert (bold-faced lie.) Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich or a salad with chicken. And most days it is delicious. But yesterday, after a nice long run  outside (in January!) with the pups , I was craving something different. After eating chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast (don't judge, they were whole-wheat) I wanted to eat something healthy and light, but filling enough to fuel me for the rest of the afternoon. 
I found some leftover quinoa in the fridge and concocted this little quinoa salad using ingredients we had on hand. The result? Absolutely delicious. I mixed in steamed broccoli (leftover), shredded carrots, frozen peas*, toasted pine-nuts, and some crumbled feta. I finished it with salt, pepper, a dash of olive oil, and a drizzle of some of the most delicious balsamic vinegar you will ever taste. It was the perfect balance of textures and flavors. If you're in a lunch rut, try mixing it up with quinoa. My only disappointment was reaching the bottom of the bowl all too soon. 
*As a kid, I loved munching on frozen peas straight from the freezer! I ate them like candy, and to this day I still think they are delicious in their frozen state.

1 comment:

  1. That salad looks really good, and very original! And I would never judge someone for eating chocolate chip pancakes. My favorite breakfast EVER! Oh, and you should consider doing a post on your favorite wines! We're always looking for new ones to try. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails