Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gatsby + cocktails

I finished reading The Great Gatsby last night. Although the story didn't quite sweep me off my feet like I had expected, it is beautifully written. Each paragraph reads like poetry. 


"For a moment the last sunshine fell with romantic affection upon her glowing face; her voice compelled me forward breathlessly as I listened- then the glow faded, each light deserting her with lingering regret like children leaving a pleasant street at dusk." (Chapter 1)


Isn't the imagery just lovely? And here's another one of my favorite parts. Gatsby is telling Tom about falling in love with Daisy:


"I can't even tell you how surprised I was to find out I loved her, old sport. I even hoped for a while she'd throw me over, but she didn't, because she was in love with me too. She thought I knew a lot because I knew different things from her... Well, there I was, way off my ambitions, getting deeper in love every minute, and all of a sudden I didn't care. What was the use of doing great things if I could have a better time telling her what I was going to do?" (Chapter 8)


Of course, the story takes place in the Roaring Twenties, so the pages of this novel are filled with cocktails and parties and women and dresses and music and dancing and life. Feeling a little adventurous, or maybe just secretly longing for the days of the Jazz Age (or maybe just feeling  a sense of desperation since my life is in shambles... just kidding... kind of... not really) I decided to try a new cocktail this week. It was fun to branch out from the usual red wine and my dad recommended I try a Smith and Kearns after we finished dinner Monday night. Although it is not a drink from the 20s, it is delicious, a perfect little liquid dessert. Read how to make one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails