Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Roasted Tomato Tart

This weekend I made a roasted tomato tart for our little Christmas gathering. It was pretty tasty. And super simple. So simple, in fact, that I feel kind of silly posting the "recipe" but it travels well and is a crowd pleaser (wait... are we talking about me? or the tart? just kidding... kind of... not really) Ok, here goes!


1. Slice 4-5 tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and roast at 250 for about an hour. If you're short on time you can up the heat and reduce the time. (This is important because nobody like a soggy tart, and roasting helps get rid of some of the liquid.)
(Note: Wearing competing plaids is completely optional.)

2. I used store-bought puff pastry. I know I am delusional, but not to the point where I would try to make my own puff pastry. So instead I bought the frozen kind, let it thaw overnight, and devoted the extra time to styling my hair. Good strategy, huh? Ok, so you roll out the puff pastry, brush it with a mixture of eggs and water (egg wash) and cover it with cheese. I used an Italian cheese blend with mozzarella, provolone, Parmesan, etc. However, it would have been significantly better with goat cheese. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. I also used some Italian seasoning, but fresh herbs would be infinitely better (duh). 
(Now of course, the velcro rollers, disaster kitchen, and the roommate making zucchini fritters in a towel are all optional, but what fun would it be without them?)
 3. Pop that baby in the oven at 350 for about 20-30 minutes and you're in business. 
It even looks like Christmas... and you can't beat that. If you really wanted to be a baller you could reduce some balsamic vinegar and drizzle it on top. Unfortunately though, the hair took precedence and I didn't get around to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails