Thursday, October 7, 2010

Apple Galette

Continuing with the Paris-inspired goodness, let's talk about the traditional French galette. After pining over this apple galette for weeks, my dreams finally came into fruition. Fall Break provided the perfect opportunity to take a stab at this French classic. I'm not going to lie, French food can be awfully intimidating, but to make a galette all you really need is flour, butter, sugar, and apples. 

My sweet boy and I ended up using this recipe, but we made our own little addition. Fearing that the tart would lack in the flavor department, we decided to make a paste out of melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. We put this directly on the pâte brisée before piling on the apple slices. It was delicious, if I do say so myself! And I felt so divinely French making it. 

Ina better watch out!

 We used some of the Jonagolds I picked last weekend. While picking your own proved to be particularly rewarding, it is completely optional. In my opinion, finding decent apples at Walmart requires much more dedication and expertise than picking them at an orchard, and I often walk away with the same feeling of accomplishment when I find a few good ones without bruises. Anyways, however you decide to retrieve them is your prerogative. 
Tom Hanks, anyone?
We gave the mandolin a shot, but slicing with a knife worked out much better.
Our little paste made a lovely addition.
I think Yoshi has a nose for cinnamon. Once again, he was begging. We did some negotiating though...
... and after cramming in as many apple slices as possible, we still had quite a few left over.
Fortunately, we knew exactly what to do with the extras.
And alas, the finished product! Tada! 

It made a lovely dessert, but I am particularly fond of the idea of eating it for breakfast (especially considering the fact that it is topped with fruit... it doesn't get much healthier than that, kids.)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! I saw this tart on smitten kitchen and have been wanting to make it. I am also suffering from the disease that makes you eat dessert for breakfast. Cookies, brownies, cakes, and pumpkin pie are great breakfast foods, but fruit makes it more acceptable.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails